Hello, fellow crafters and art enthusiasts! As the leaves start to change color and the chill in the air heralds the arrival of fall, we look forward to that special time of year – Thanksgiving. This holiday is an excellent opportunity for families to gather around the dining table, share a bountiful feast, express gratitude for life’s blessings, and create warm memories. One way to make this year’s celebration even more memorable is by incorporating Thanksgiving-themed art projects into your family tradition. Whether you’re a seasoned artist or just starting out with crafts, these projects are sure to add a creative spark to your festivities.
DIY Fall Leaf Mason Jar Candle Holder
Let’s kick off our list of fun-filled activities with an easy yet elegant project: a fall leaf mason jar candle holder. Not only does it bring warmth (literally) into any room, but it also sets up a cozy autumn ambiance. Materials Needed:
- Clean mason jars
- Mod podge
- Sponge brush
- Silk fall leaves
- Tea light candles
- First, make sure your mason jars are clean and dry.
- Apply mod podge on the outside surface using a sponge brush.
- Stick silk leaves onto the jar, coating them as well with mod podge.
- Allow it to dry overnight.
- Once dried completely, place tea light candles inside each jar.
Handprint Turkey Placemats
Next on our list is something that will not just decorate your home but also involve kids in some fun crafting activity – Handprint Turkey Placemats!
- Construction paper (multiple colors)
- Glue stick
- Clear contact paper
- Trace each child’s hand onto a piece of construction paper. The fingers will represent the turkey’s feathers, and the thumb will be its head.
- Cut out the traced handprints.
- Glue them onto a larger piece of construction paper (this will serve as your placemat).
- Once it dries, sandwich it between two pieces of clear contact paper to make it durable and easy to clean.
This is not just an art project; it’s also a beautiful Thanksgiving tradition that emphasizes being thankful for what we have in our lives.
- Twigs or small branches
- A vase or jar
- Construction paper
- Marker pens
- Ribbon or string
- Gather twigs or small branches and place them in a vase.
- Cut leaf shapes from different colored construction papers.
- Have each family member write something they are grateful for on each leaf with marker pens.
- Attach these leaves to the twigs using ribbon or string.
Pumpkin Wine Glass Centerpieces
Here’s an artistic way to upcycle those old wine glasses you’ve got lying around – turn them into adorable pumpkin centerpieces!
- Wine glasses
- Orange acrylic paint
- Green felt
- Hot glue gun
- Paint the outside of your wine glass with orange acrylic paint (two coats might be required). Let dry overnight.
- Cut green felt into leaf shapes and attach them to the base (now top) of the glass using hot glue gun.
From DIY mason jar candle holders to handprint turkey placemats, there are countless ways to incorporate art into your Thanksgiving celebration! Not only do these projects add a festive touch, but they also encourage creativity among kids and adults alike while highlighting the spirit of gratitude that defines this holiday season.
So this Thanksgiving, let’s put on our artist hats and create some memorable art pieces. After all, Thanksgiving is more than just a holiday; it’s a feeling of warmth, love, and appreciation that we can express through these creative projects. Happy crafting!